Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: madlib is the rose that grew from the copyright law concrete
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2686623&mesg_id=2687015
2687015, RE: madlib is the rose that grew from the copyright law concrete
Posted by all stah, Tue Apr-17-12 12:54 AM
And Jake One?

He flipped the entire essence of sampling, by having the instruments played, or playing them himself, then sampling the sound. I thought his entire White Van Music was a album full of samples, until I read the story behind it.

Cats got lazy.

Dilla could play the drums and Keys. Lib can to, and I think Jake One can play as well.

There are ways around sampling laws to where you can still sample, but you have to be creative with it...

Knxwledge samples like crazy. Star Slinger samples like crazy. Dibia$e samples like crazy.Flying Lotus samples like crazy...

Don't get me wrong, sampling laws did injure the art and creativity of sampling to a certain extent, but it didn't eradicate sampling. However, those one trick pony producers got introduced to the door once they realized that they had to take their game to the next level.

I personally feel that Dilla came along and crushed the science of sampling, and created other doors by doing so, and the aforementioned artists came through those doors, while a lot of boom bap beat makers got left behind.