Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectDiamond SPECIFICALY was really the impetus behind this post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2686623&mesg_id=2686844
2686844, Diamond SPECIFICALY was really the impetus behind this post
Posted by ABROCK33, Mon Apr-16-12 05:51 PM
I didnt want to just come out and say his name in the subject tho as people would think I was crapping on him

when SBHH dropped he was all the rage. it was being touted as an instant classic (which it is) and he was immediatly put into the same catagory as Primo,RZA, QTip, PR etc...

as time went on tho all of his peers have adjusted their sounds to reflect not only the tastes and trends of the market but also have leared to work with samples less exstensivly or learned how to chop and disguise their samples. Thus they have stayed viable.

Unfortunatly he hasnt updated his skill set or atleast he waited too long to. Ive heard some of his non sampled beats and they arent good enough to distinguish themselves from any other new jack prod beats.

I wonder how and why did this happen?

cats were choppin rare french records and he was stil loopin David Axelrod

Its hard to feel sorry for him. its as if he rested on his laurals and ignored what was going on in hip hop outside of his own studio. Even his 2nd record didnt pack as much punch because he tried the SAME formula as the first but hip hop had changed.

that being said scenarios like this are why IMO he isn't a top tier prod; takeing nothing away from SBHH but beyond that and a few singles he is just average when compared to his peers