Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: But I am!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2686452&mesg_id=2687142
2687142, RE: But I am!
Posted by Belief, Tue Apr-17-12 12:01 PM
>$500....for a Yamaha, that's a damn steal!

Why yes....yes it is

>main pointers I can give is hit at the end of the fretboard
>with the tip of yr thumb for accuracy. keep yr thumb still and
>let it all come from your wrist. your motion should be like a
>bouncing ball. alot of folks think they have to pound the bass
>when they slap, a lil wrist goes a long way. figure out which
>finger feels better to pop with, index or middle, and stick
>with that

Thanks, I'll just have put more practice in...I think I'm one of those people...trying to slam my thumb through the body lol...I'll ease up and see how that feels.

>what made you wanna take up bass? its rare for a woman to pick
>up the four string....did you take lessons or just study under
>a friend?

I was just listening to music like I usually do and one day all I could hear was the bass in every song I listened to...I'd listened to those same songs hundreds of times, but for some reason, all of a sudden the bass was right there. Then I started to hear how differently bass lines sounded in different genres of music and I loved it all, so I bought the Yamaha and it's been loverly ever since! I took lessons every week for about four years and now I go bi-weekly. My instructor is insanely talented...I learned theory first which was borrrrr-rrrrrring cause all I wanted to do was play. But it helped me immensely when we started interpreting why bass players went in a certain direction when it came to their parts in songs and as you said, it's useful when writing music, too.