Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI Do Not Like Undun
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2684927&mesg_id=2687392
2687392, I Do Not Like Undun
Posted by Dariusx, Tue Apr-17-12 07:55 PM
I co-sign with most of the comments criticizing Undun. I do give The Roots credits for staying true to their vision and putting out quality music. This does not mean that I have to like it. Looking back at their catalog, it looks like they reached their artistic zenith with the controversial Phrenology cd. It had all the elements of their previous releases and took them to the the next level

Tipping Point was an exhale record purposely scaled back. It had some nice moments such as Stay Cool and the opening tracks Web and Boom. Unfortunately this record is the template of what all their releases to the present have been. Corny as hell hooks ( I Don't Care, Somebody's Gotta Do It) and short running time.

The Roots got back on the track with what I think is their last great cd Game Theory.With the release of Rising Down, How I Got Over and Undun they indulged in all their worst qualities. They are listening to their own press and are feeling themselves to the detriment of making good music.

I don't care if Undun is a concept cd, that's all well and good but is it kicking? This is the first Roots cd I did not buy and if they continue making records like this (which it seems they will) I will not support them. Because of their day job, they can now pretty much do as they please and I wish them well.

Here are some things they can to shake things up because they are stuck in a bad funk:

1-Use the band on the entire record instead of guest musicians and guest rappers

2-Decide what direction they want to go -make an r&b joint, make a rock joint, make a hip hop joint. By changing genres with every track, it cause the listener to lose focus and interest

3-Take the time to write some good songs and produce a 50 min plus record

4-Cut out those Dice Raw and others hooks