Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI WAS a huge Roots fan...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2684927&mesg_id=2685134
2685134, I WAS a huge Roots fan...
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-12-12 12:52 PM
but I was also a huge Radiohead fan and a big Bjork fan...

The reason I lump these 3 together is because they all bore the shit out of me right now. Maybe it's the amount of albums and songs that I played over and over again but I'm at a point in my music career where I want to be MOVED & ENTERTAINED... and right now the Roots do a terrible job on both fronts.

I don't want to work to listen to an album. I don't want to have to "get it" in order to "get it."

Right now the Roots are making music for themselves and that's cool... but most times when you do that you also end up with no sales and no recognition. This isn't a Shuggie Otis deal where it just took too long for the album to drop and it was rediscovered years later. The Roots drop an album every 2 or 3 years and it feels like the work hard to make each one less interesting and appealing to the listening audience. I know it's hard to write a hit but dammit... you can at least try to write some catchy shit from time to time.

Maybe the Roots are right where they want to be but I think they are in a position to be THAT band since they are on TV. All it takes is one song to change your history. Get Adele on a hook, get Rihanna... or whoever is about to be blow. I know it may seem like a gimmick but hell, you are already Jimmy Fallon's back up band so make that shit happen.