Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectas a HUGE Roots fan...the album just has no legs
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2684927&mesg_id=2685107
2685107, as a HUGE Roots fan...the album just has no legs
Posted by Stadiq, Thu Apr-12-12 12:01 PM

First of all, like others have said its a "concept" album by the Roots...

it was never going to be HUGE.

others have covered that 100%

But, lets be honest...

#1 there is NOTHING seperating this album from being a regular Roots album.

The concept just isn't there...you can take the idea of it being a concept away from it and it literally does nothing to the album

They really, really screwed up by having all these rappers be the same, generic voice of the same character...

it really prevents it from being as interesting as it could have been...plus it really does become completely impersonal.

Like a lot of reviews said, it makes it...boring

They should have had each rapper be a different character...would have been far more interesting and a true concept

or something else...

but as it stands once you have spun it a couple times, there is no reason to go back

Its just the 3rd straight Roots album with a ton of guests...

#2 Some of these hooks suck, man. I'm sorry. I love the firs track, Cool On, Stomp, Tip The Scale...

but Make My is boring as sh*t, I can't even remember the Phonte track, and

Lighthouse??

That hook is almost parody bad

So, there are very few **songs** that stand out. Not in the way that past Roots songs like Star, etc have stood out.

The Roots are my favorite rap group of all time. I actually loved Undun at first, then I realized it left rotation quicker than any Roots album before.

Im not saying this is a bad album

But its far from perfect.

It has really low replay value IMO which is probably why no one is talking about it even in the rap nerd world