Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMy 10
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2684836&mesg_id=2689457
2689457, My 10
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Apr-23-12 08:50 AM
1. "Me, Myself & I" (Video/Radio Mix)
2. "Ring Ring Ring (Ha Ha Hey)" (Album Mix)
3. "Say No Go" (Album Mix -- there's an ill remix of this that misses the cut)
4. "A Rollerskating Jam Called Saturdays"
5. "Keepin' The Faith"
6. "Stakes Is High"
7. "Breakadawn"
8. "The Future"
9. "View"
10. "Ain't Hip To Be Labeled A Hippie" (good looks, c71)

this list could spiral well into 20-25 tracks, when I really scour their catalog. some notes:

2, 4, 5 - pretty much shows the dominance of De La Soul Is Dead on this list... 10 basically belongs to 3 Ft. High and Rising's ouevre, but it's a B-Side not too many people heard unless they got the remaster from the 2000s. DLSID had the most fun(ky) songs as a collection over their whole catalog... I dig that they went less on the motif that dominated their first record (which probably got them that "hippies" tag as much as their fashion style) and picked up on the vibe of "Say No Go" and "Me Myself and I" which I thought was really what made De La Soul go.

2 - I always found it annoying that De La's first videos/songs released for an album had "refined" versus what was on the album. #1 listed above was WAAAAAAAAY better than the album version, since Mase let the Funkadelic record ride longer on the hook instead of Transformer-ing it every other number of bars. In the case of "Ring Ring Ring"... I liked the simple Whatnauts/Impeach The President mashup rather than the drowned-out video version.

8 - opener to THE GRIND DATE that reminded me a lot of the stuff from the AOI records, but they really turned it up on the swing tip...the Switch vocals were pretty wild, that made you feel like the sun was about to rise before your eyes.

9 - not a single (to my knowledge) but it was a great showcase for Posdnous to get loose.

also, I think De La really never had a WACK single. they usually were a good draw to the album, even Bionix, which was their first album to get the pans. I could have just been lazy and listed up their singles or 12" versions of those.