Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI feel your point though
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2684712&mesg_id=2684828
2684828, I feel your point though
Posted by k_orr, Wed Apr-11-12 09:52 PM
I know why those guys don't get mentioned, and it's that there's a spoken/unspoken component that to be the GOAT convo, is the crowd element

- have you made a club banger
- can people dance to your stuff
- do people even know your name

Not so much sales and chart positions, but there's some base line of popularity with people that listen to rap, as well as R&B and Reggae, that you have to meet in order to be considered.

And when you think about it, 15 years ago, Kool Moe Dee would still be in the conversation, same with Melle Mel. ICE CUBE would be in the conversation. They all had a catalog of hits and bangers, and people knew their albums back to front.

But the game has changed.
What people listen for and look for have changed.

Personally, I think Bun B raps circles around most of the ppl listed in the top 10. But he ain't really got the solo joints to put him on the same level as a Rakim, Jay Z, Nas.

Wise, Boots, Godfather Don, Lil Sci from Scienz of Life, Aceyalone..I could go down the list and come up with cats that can flip nouns and verbs, as well as cats that can write songs...that if you heard them, they might become your personal anthem.

But a cat like the Grouch, who i've always thought was a real dope mc, writes himself into a corner by making shit for hip hop heads.

Black Thought is better than most mc's that make it to GOAT conversations, and 10 albums deep he ain't even mentioned on his own damn site.

That's just me though.

I wish hip hop on this message board was broader, the whole world really.

Hip Hop, as an album format, as something that you listened to for months on end - I think that's pretty much dead.

Some of it is how things are promoted, some of it is the internet, filesharing, our new attitude to dispose of music, the old attitude that hip hop eats it's dead...

But yeah.

one
k. orr