Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI hate how hip hop discussions in here are anti-discography
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2684712&mesg_id=2684712
2684712, I hate how hip hop discussions in here are anti-discography
Posted by amplifya7, Wed Apr-11-12 05:26 PM
"How will __________________ be viewed in history"
"Who had a better career?"
"Did this rapper influence this rapper?"

wtf

why does that kinda stuff completely overshadow valuing an artists full discography and body of work, only when we are talking about hip hop, but not other genres

this combination of looking at some artists as "underground bums", as well as 'no one who came out after 1999 can be in a GOAT discussion' mentality

as if 12+ years isn't enough to build a discography that people can prefer to say, Biggie's 3 albums of material, without being looked at as backpackers/nerds/idiots

Not to single out the one post in the Kanye post, but "Kanye as GOAT over LL, 2pac, and Jay?" as the options of what mainstream hip hop media will say

Who cares what they say

Why CAN'T people like Masta Ace, El-P, Count Bass D, Killer Mike, Aesop Rock, Devin The Dude, DOOM, Lupe, Mos Def, Brother Ali, Moka Only, Blueprint, Black Milk, etc., basically anyone with 5+ albums of material who has a dedicated following of fans who think their material is great be talked about on that level or higher (I'm not a fan of all of those artists, just naming a few I don't see any reason not to think of as all-time artist...some for both production + rhymes combined)

Who do you think SHOULD be in all-time great discussions based strictly off their body of work, but would be scoffed at by people with the 'underground bum'/cant be great after '97 mentality? For me, El-P, Brother Ali, CunninLynguists, and P.O.S. are a few...someone like Thavius Beck is so obscure that most would probably scoff at it but most of his stuff is pretty great to me and there's a lot of it...