Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectDon't flame me for this...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2684467&mesg_id=2684624
2684624, Don't flame me for this...
Posted by G_The_SP, Wed Apr-11-12 01:09 PM
... but I honestly feel, from a historical perspective, people will see it this way:

Kanye West is to hip-hop what Miles Davis was to Jazz.

In regards to innovation, in regards to pushing himself beyond the borders of what is traditionally considered hip-hop, in regards to his cutting edge approach to producing tracks.

But he has more work to do- he started off good and fell victim to the party and materialism culture that is so prevalent in hip-hop.

I feel Kanye is out-of-touch with his original fan-base. I don't think he relates to the common person that is struggling, and that's a problem. He came down to visit Occupy Wall St. NY last year and the irony is that just months prior to that he released an album with Jay-Z that was based on his luxuries and lavish 1% lifestyle. Many Kanye fans can't relate or identify with that. And i personally feel it's a slap in the face to smear your riches in the faces of struggling people while we are in a recession.

He's also extremely confident, some would say arrogant. So was Miles.

I'm a longtime Kanye fan and truly believe that he's brilliant, but like all human beings, he's flawed.