Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThey were more 'murky' and unfocused than they should have been
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2684296&mesg_id=2684460
2684460, They were more 'murky' and unfocused than they should have been
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Wed Apr-11-12 08:29 AM
Some beats had good ideas, but were presented improperly, like "Anything Goes," with the background women's vocals mixed low, and the main loop mixed low too. As a single it should've been brighter. "Realism" sounds rushed with a murky bassline as well. As much as people shit on "Drama," everything on it is crisp and pops and clearly should have been a single. The murkines only helps "Evil that Men Do," which has a great mood throughout it.

The thing is that beat-wise the album begins and ends on high notes, its just the second half that has lackluster beats like "If/Then" and kinda "Soul on Ice" (especially in comparison with the remix, which I'm sure everyone wishes was on the album instead).

I think ultimately hype from preceding tracks and the complexity of the lyrics made people expect a really focused album. Think of GZA's Liquid Swords production. I think some of those samples should have been replayed, and only a handful of beats should have been replaced. Its just the focus of the beats didn't match the focus and drama of the rhymes (me and all my friends thought every single thing on that album was true when we first heard it). Could be possible not even the producers or Coolio knew what they had with this album, certainly Priority didn't.