Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI'm not sure that aspect of the industry has changed
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2683990&mesg_id=2684029
2684029, I'm not sure that aspect of the industry has changed
Posted by Dr Claw, Tue Apr-10-12 11:19 AM
>Like is it possible that this perceived decline in
>'good' music is because of the high stakes popularity contest
>the industry has become?

but the industry as a whole has changed.
I think numerous times when this subject has been approached, it's under the idea that there is much less room for failure in the business.

it's part of what you get from Kelly Kel hereabouts in his rundowns of the past decade, the formula for success, and his overwhelming lament of not being (able to be) part of something "consensus popular" and modern.

we might have discussed ad infinitum about the reasons why that isn't happening today. and IMO, I think the industry is largely to blame for the current state of affairs.

for the record: I don't really think new music in 2012 sucks. in fact I think we have many artists that seem to "get it" out there versus but a few years ago. it's just a much smaller audience than we're used to will be able to hear them due to a number of factors. I think rap, in particular, is way better than the POO POO that many of us were fed early in the decade prior. Sure, I don't personally have that new "DOOM" artist that I immediately latch-on to but I'm sure I'll find something.

I think you'll find more Frank Oceans out there than anything else in the coming years. After reading the semi-puff piece on him and his road to the spotlight, I learned a few things about him in the process. More than his influences, and all the biographical sketch stuff... I found his interest in becoming a songwriter first and foremost intriguing, and even more so, finally saying "eff it" and throwing his album to the dogs while it gathered dust (with help from some of his friends in OF).

they won't sell a lot of records unless majors vulture 'em but they can apparently get a lot of press otherwise. sounds like the old days.