Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: For example, I can't identify a Prince track since Most Beautiful...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2683197&mesg_id=2683962
2683962, RE: For example, I can't identify a Prince track since Most Beautiful...
Posted by tricky99, Tue Apr-10-12 06:35 AM
That you and others can't name a song past Most beautiful girl or Musicology says more about you and the music industry then anything about the quality of Prince's music.

What people tend to forget is that Prince is an Artist. He is just not some entertainer trying to score hits and make a buck. Music is his life's work the same way painting was Picasso's life's work. Prince is more interested in the creation of his art then satisfying some general listener's desire for a "banger".

The general public only is interested in what the "machine" feeds them. I wouldn't even consider Most beautiful girl or Musicology or Black sweat as the best music he produced in that period. They were merely the songs feed to the public by the "machine".

The other thing to keep in mind is that Prince can't be cateogized musically. And if you go to his music expecting a certain sound you are bound to be disappointed.

Prince musically is like the difference between people who are into movies like Citizen Kane versus folks who are satisfied with a Tyler Perry flick. They are both films but that is where the similarity of content and ambition ends.

Prince's musical ambitions operate outside of the scope of the normal musician and generally outside of the average listeners music pallete. Basically folks are complaining about Prince being to creative and to obtuse. When in actuality those very things are what seperates him from the Snoop dogs and Beyonces of the world.