Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIt's not even that though. Like Nas, Snoop, MJ, still put out a lot of
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2683197&mesg_id=2683816
2683816, It's not even that though. Like Nas, Snoop, MJ, still put out a lot of
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Apr-09-12 06:07 PM
bangers...even if it wasn't A+ material, they had some A-, and then a lot of B and B+ material out. Can't quite say the same for Prince, and there's absolutely no reason for me to have a bias against him since he's one of my fav's without question. And the issue is, I'll even admit that I'm young so I wouldn't be able to get into some of his Post 80's music...hell, it's some of his 80's music I couldn't quite get into. But when most people see it the same way as me, including folks who were there when he was primin, it should make sense.

I'll even say that Prince was somewhat of a victim of that MAJOR transition that happened from NJS that we talked about in my other post...so his sound was hard to evolve into what was modern, and what worked for him before wasn't gonna catch new ears or even maintain old ears.

At the same time? I feel Prince has it more like Snoop does, vs. how Jay-Z and MJ had it...with Snoop, we've said that he can put out a million records and it won't hurt his legacy, even if it doesn't attract new fans or even sell to his main fans. So nobody expects him to make anything classic, however, if he did make some new bangers, people will love them. So he has that privilege, which isn't too common. Nas, Jay, MJ, etc etc...people are critical against them, and if they make something that's not great, it's like "ohh they lost it."