Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectit's the "Thriller" or "Illmatic" syndrome.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2683197&mesg_id=2683807
2683807, it's the "Thriller" or "Illmatic" syndrome.
Posted by disco dj, Mon Apr-09-12 05:53 PM
meaning, it's impossible to follow-up a classic. You can never do it.

Which is why everybody constantly critiques every Nas album with a microscope, or why every Mike Jax album got compared to "Thriller".

>
>I would say it is true, but as I said, he put out a
>LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of material after the 80's, and by
>number, he's put out way more average albums than great
>ones...so somebody who knows nothing of Prince would look at
>his discography and be lost if they had no idea what his
>important albums were.

Well, let's do it like this. A few years back, imcvspl had a post titled "If The Aliens came down...." or something like that. The premise of the post was to name works by artists that could put aliens ( a metaphor for a listener who had never heard of said artist) on to that person.

So if the aliens came down and asked about P*****, can't we just hand them a stack of his albums and let THEM decide what they like, without putting disclaimers on it?

I'd be willing to bet that most people who haven't been corrupted by popular opinion would find something enjoyable on all of his material.

>So yea, what you say is correct, these artists are always
>gonna be remembered for their old classic material, but I
>still feel like they had more important and remembered albums
>than forgotten about ones. I think Prince just oversaturated
>the game with his.

Fuck that. I think that anybody who is still capable of writing/playing/arranging/performing music deserves to put out whatever he wants. Regardless of what *we* think. As long as somebody out there is listening, go for it...