Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI always thought of it as Prince's pig headedness
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2683197&mesg_id=2683606
2683606, I always thought of it as Prince's pig headedness
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Apr-09-12 12:09 PM
I can't help but think that Prince has a lot of good relevant music in him but he is soo unyielding to the fact that music has changed alot since his prime that he is unwilling to incorporate new things into his sound.

I mean, why hasn't Prince ever been used effectively in a Hip-Hop or Hip-Hop-centric track***? Even Stevie has that dope Busta track. It's because dude really isn't that interested in hip-hop and certainly wouldn't be willing to put himself in the hands of another producer to try and create a cool hip-hop track.

In general I think Prince has an unwillingness to not be in total control of everything which means he wouldn't work with folks who could update his sound and come up with modern relevant music. Just imagine what could possibly happen if Prince opened himself to work with Saadiq, Neptunes or even our own 15. Something interesting could come out of it.

***I think the best thing Prince track that is hip-hop oriented is The Greatest Romance (Remix) but I feel like the Neptunes probably did that after the fact and didn't have much involvement by Prince.

Peace to the Gods.