Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Looking Back: Your verdict on Little Brother's "The Listening" LP
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2682520&mesg_id=2682903
2682903, RE: Looking Back: Your verdict on Little Brother's "The Listening" LP
Posted by david bammer, Fri Apr-06-12 09:29 PM
>If I'm not mistaken Kanye, Big Sean, Wale,
>DRAKE (especially as he has said many times before) are others
>got some influence from them.

you listen to kanye 2003-2005, drake 2003-2005, early wale, early big sean, early wiz khalifa, etc.
they all were doing things comparable to what little brother was doing in 2003-2005. they were all likely "fans" of 9th wonder too.
however, what's never acknowledged is that they all drastically changed their style post-major label flop of little brother/9th wonder to something that bore NO resemblance of what they had been doing previously.

as far as pete rock, dj premier and co. touting the release - you could argue the element of self-interest in trying to prop up a mediocre group they thought represented a style of rap music they viewed themselves a part of that was rapidly receding in mainstream clout 2002/2003/2004.

young guru, i don't believe even knows enough about music to lend credence to his opinions as evidenced on some the final mixes he turned in for mastering. but just my opinion...