Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Looking Back: Your verdict on Little Brother's "The Listening" LP
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2682520&mesg_id=2682664
2682664, RE: Looking Back: Your verdict on Little Brother's "The Listening" LP
Posted by david bammer, Fri Apr-06-12 01:49 PM
championed mediocrity for ulterior motives by "you know who" on this website.
he tried to repeat the process with that other okp group some of the moderators of GD were in to lesser results.

imo.
mediocre rappers, mediocre content, mediocre ideas.
contrarily, some interesting and relevant to the time sample digs/flips.
however, most ruined by poorly constructed amateurish beats.

the ultimate legacy of the act, which i'm sure will never be held in widespread belief because nobody important enough will bother saying it.
is that their failure ultimately destroyed the proverbial cracked window that was open in 2004/2005 for a "lane" for a certain type of act receiving any mainstream publicity.

they had a chance to represent the type of rap music they claimed they loved and very brazenly proclaimed themselves the "gatekeepers" to (even if they didn't even properly understand the origin of that type of rap music) and in their wake left it more polarized, marginalized, less relevant and viewed as commercially "worthless" to both executives and other major label rap acts alike.
any act that came along doing something remotely comparable at the time or after their failure would have met a locked door largely on the account of their contributions.

i usually refrain from bothering to comment on acts in this way nowadays, especially this particular act at this point in time.
i think the less anybody says about them the better.