Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectYeah, I didn't like this doc...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2682422&mesg_id=2848541
2848541, Yeah, I didn't like this doc...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Wed Oct-16-13 02:07 PM
They showed it on swedish TV this summer. Too much harping on Phife's health-problems, too little about the music and the records and the songs.

I don't think a music-documentary *have* to focus purely on the music even if that's honestly what I prefer; I understand the viewers like the drama and shit like that and I really dug the Ramones-documentary that focused a lot on the relationships within the band but it was a continuous narrative that spanned two decades and was intervowen with the story of the band and their music. Here meanwhile, it became too much about Phife and Q-tip going on about their beef that to a large extent seemed to be based on one particualr incident if I remember correctly. For a band with as short career as Tribe (well, like ten years but still), you can not spend the entire second half or so of the movie just going on about the health-issues and Tip's lack of understanding/sympathy; shit gets redundant and repetetive not to mention that the time devoted to this in the movie could have been spent on something better...