Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI hated that Tribe documentary
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2682422&mesg_id=2682707
2682707, I hated that Tribe documentary
Posted by BrainChild, Fri Apr-06-12 02:57 PM
mainly because Rappaport tried to do too much with it.

had I done it, I would've focused on the reunion tour (and not just the infighting) and found the stories that needed to be told within that tour and worked in the group's history as a means of explaining, i guess, what was going on now rather than doing a "we did this, and then we did that, and then we did this, and then we broke up, then we got back together for some shows, we fight, and phife's sick."

I would've approached it in a similar way to Metallica's "Some Kind Of Monster," and not just because of the infighting that went on in that film. "Some Kind Of Monster" didn't try to give you the entire history of Metallica, it told the story about the group at one specific period of time... The band's history did come into play, but it was only brought up by the filmmakers as needed to help move things along or explain certain things.

Another great one was "Anvil! The Story of Anvil." It didn't spend half of it's runtime giving the history of a band no one had heard of. It quickly established the group's history and the influence they had and then went on to tell the story about how the band (particularly its leader) struggled in the present day.

I haven't seen this Pearl Jam documentary, but is it some career retrospective thing, or is it telling a single story?