Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Can somebody please school me on Curtis Mayfield?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2682414&mesg_id=2682507
2682507, RE: Can somebody please school me on Curtis Mayfield?
Posted by astroman71, Fri Apr-06-12 09:34 AM
Curtis was a giant. Criminally underrated in music history. He stays on my GOAT list.

He started out with the Impressions in the late 50’s. Curtis was the creative force behind the group as he penned an increasing percentage of its songs.

The Impressions (w/Curtis)went on to have a over decade long run with hits and some truly beautiful (but relatively unknown) gems. The style of the Impression music evolved with the times, moving from doo-wop to being on the leading edge of soul music in the late sixties. Keep on Pushin’, People Get Ready, This is My Country, We’re a Winner, The Young Mods Forgotten Story and Choice of Colors were a few of the great songs that the Impressions laid down. BTW-The Impressions continued without Curtis singing as part of the group and put down some quality records in the early seventies.

Curtis went on the start a solo career at the beginning of the seventies. His run of records from 1970 to 1975 is rivals some of the great mutli-album runs of any artist from Stevie to Prince. Album highlights include Curtis, Roots, Superfly, Back to the World and There’s No Place Like America Today. Start in this five year period if you want to learn more about Curtis’ music.

He continued to record regularly until a concert accident injured him severely. Trying to incorporate disco and eighties R&B into his music made the quality of his later stuff uneven.