Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2682412&mesg_id=2682412
2682412, Sly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread
Posted by BlackNAlwaysProud, Thu Apr-05-12 10:40 PM
Sly and the Family are one of a kind. It won't a group like em before and it ain't been a group like em since they came onto the scene. Sly as a writer, producer, arranger and performer is in a class all by himself. And his cast of bandmates from Freddie to Rose to Cynthia to Larry to Jerry to Gregg and then later on Rusty Allen and Pat Rizzo were all talented and great. Sly's work as a bandleader and knowledge of music theory and sound was amazing and the thing is he's a natural. I remember Miles saying how Sly wasn't really a trained a musician but he knew his music. It amazing at what Sly created with his music. The lyrics, the sound, the arrangements and melodies are just from another planet. And the thing is, it's so clever because Sly could take Funk, Soul,l Rock and Pop and combine it and not alienate any crowd of fans from one genre to the next. He knew just what worked and how to put it all together to come with some of the most brilliant work any has ever heard. I mean, from 68' to technically 73' by mass appeal look on it with Fresh but I'd say even up to 75', Sly had one of the best peak periods music has ever seen. And he got so many singles that are anthems and themes to American culture.

What's your top 5 Sly and the Family Stone songs? What ONE album by Sly and the Family Stone is your favorite? And as a writer, where do you rank Sly Stone?