Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2682412
2682412, Sly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread
Posted by BlackNAlwaysProud, Thu Apr-05-12 10:40 PM
Sly and the Family are one of a kind. It won't a group like em before and it ain't been a group like em since they came onto the scene. Sly as a writer, producer, arranger and performer is in a class all by himself. And his cast of bandmates from Freddie to Rose to Cynthia to Larry to Jerry to Gregg and then later on Rusty Allen and Pat Rizzo were all talented and great. Sly's work as a bandleader and knowledge of music theory and sound was amazing and the thing is he's a natural. I remember Miles saying how Sly wasn't really a trained a musician but he knew his music. It amazing at what Sly created with his music. The lyrics, the sound, the arrangements and melodies are just from another planet. And the thing is, it's so clever because Sly could take Funk, Soul,l Rock and Pop and combine it and not alienate any crowd of fans from one genre to the next. He knew just what worked and how to put it all together to come with some of the most brilliant work any has ever heard. I mean, from 68' to technically 73' by mass appeal look on it with Fresh but I'd say even up to 75', Sly had one of the best peak periods music has ever seen. And he got so many singles that are anthems and themes to American culture.

What's your top 5 Sly and the Family Stone songs? What ONE album by Sly and the Family Stone is your favorite? And as a writer, where do you rank Sly Stone?
2682489, Theres A Riot Going On
Posted by Record Playa, Fri Apr-06-12 08:38 AM

Tilt - Arcade Funk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPtLcEoyxKY
2682513, 5. Sing a simple song
Posted by c71, Fri Apr-06-12 09:40 AM
4. Time
3. Just like a baby
2. You caught me smilin'
1. Luv n Haight

Obviously, I'm all about Riot, mainly. I like what could have been with Sly and The Family Stone as opposed to what actually happened with them: the records (beside Riot - and I'm not too happy that Sly's problems made Riot a lo-fi recording), and Sly's problems.

I don't like the vibe of Sly and the Family Stone's records pre-Riot and after Riot: too cutesy. I'm not happy Sly had to be drugged up for Riot to somewhat avoid that cutesy thing, though it was there in "Spaced Cowboy" and even in "You caught me smilin'" somewhat, and "Poet".
2682523, RE: Sly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread
Posted by astroman71, Fri Apr-06-12 10:08 AM
Another Five Songs (Not on Riot):
1. If You Want Me to Stay
2. Remember Who You Are
3. Love City
4. Underdog
5. Time for Livin'
2682559, Great thread
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Fri Apr-06-12 11:39 AM
top 5

hot fun in the summertime 1)

don't call me N*** Whitey 2)

time 3)

family affair 4)

loose Booty 5)

there's a riot goin on love that album.

as a Songwriter all time gotta say he is in the top 10

because his songs stand the test of time and his influence stretches all the way out.

ground breaking artist, musician and performer and he left a mark that is his own.

he is one of my all time favorite artists ever. one of the most vulnerable and outspoken and direct artists ever and yet a mystery and leaves you wondering what if?
2682580, Shame that the Sony box set is being held up by the legal wrangles with Jerry Goldstein.
Posted by CRM, Fri Apr-06-12 12:02 PM
2682780, Thanks for the feedback ya'll!
Posted by BlackNAlwaysProud, Fri Apr-06-12 05:04 PM
Mine top 5 songs by Sly and the Family:

Family Affair
Thankful N Thoughtful
Everyday People
Harmony
Sing a Simple Song

Favorite album:

Fresh
2683119, RE: Sly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread
Posted by Strangeways, Sat Apr-07-12 01:43 PM
Ive never heard an entire sly and the family stone album but I can say that thank you for letting me bemyself again influenced a entire generation of bass players especially Larry's thumping and plucking....and I used to like Jane is a groupie and you caught me smiling....
2683135, RE: Sly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread
Posted by kaika-the-guy, Sat Apr-07-12 02:12 PM
Sly Sly Sly... man...
the top five thing is hard... Too many songs that I love.
1. Hot Fun in the Summertime/Just like a Baby
2. Running Away
3. Frisky
4.If You Want Me to Stay
5. You Caught me Smiling

My favorite album is a tie between Fresh and There's a Riot Going On.
2683156, I saw the Family Stone (minus Sly) last year at a festival.
Posted by CondoM, Sat Apr-07-12 03:19 PM
They were great and had one of the best crowd reactions all day.
2683239, RE: Sly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread
Posted by Nvncible1, Sat Apr-07-12 08:54 PM
sly is a very underrated vocalist. i wondered how he got his voice to sound that way particularly on FRESH...was it drugs? was his vocals sped up like prince would later do? i dont know. but i love the way he sings, is phrasing is killer. even though his lyrics are a bit hard for me to decipher.

my top 10

10. underdog / i cannot make it
9.somebody's watching you
8.loose booty
7. time for livin
6. crossword puzzle (demo)

5. Frisky
4.Remember Who You Are
3. you caught me smiling
2.Family Affair
1. If you want me to stay
2683382, RE: Sly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread
Posted by kaika-the-guy, Sun Apr-08-12 04:29 PM
they're sped up a little. you slow it down and he sounds like he does on the other records.
2683383, Let's not forget Sex Machine, a mindbending classic
Posted by Controversy1999, Sun Apr-08-12 04:47 PM
5. Sex Machine
4. If You Want Me to Stay
3. Family Affair
2. Everyday People
1.5 I Want to Take You Higher
1. Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)
2781323, I love the horn stabs on That King of Person (link)
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sun Feb-24-13 07:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEyGlFFj8vs