Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectwhat were Jordan Knight and Ralph Tresvant missing as solo acts?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2680880
2680880, what were Jordan Knight and Ralph Tresvant missing as solo acts?
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Mon Apr-02-12 09:08 PM
these two former Proteges of Maurice Starr each enjoyed great success leading two very successful groups and then had debut solo success but then what things didn't click no more.

there musical Clam chowder(both are from Boston) didn't hit the ribs no more and quickly it was back to fronting said groups.

of the two who should have had the better solo career?

who of the two was only as good as the group they were in?

also if traded them for each other and put them as the lead singer in each others group which group would shine more?

2680885, it was strange wasn't it? how did neither one of them blow up solo?
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Mon Apr-02-12 09:17 PM
both of them had BANGERS for first singles, imo. maybe their material just wasn't strong enough. i kinda think that Jordan must have pissed the wrong person off. you would assume they'd keep trying until they got the desired results. (they = his record label)
2680907, in ralphs case i think it was the material...he was basically the voice
Posted by mikediggz, Mon Apr-02-12 10:25 PM
of NE so he was set up to win...didnt have the songs tho
2680893, Ralph's voice gets annoying after a while. It worked good in a group
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Apr-02-12 09:28 PM
but it was TOO soft and he couldn't pull off those high energy songs that were poppin back then. BBD weren't nearly as good as singers as he was, but their voice, style, and image was just poppin at the time. Ralph was like 3-4 years early...he could have gone good on some 93-94 Babyface Tevin Campbell type shit.
2680943, jordan was the precursor for justin right?
Posted by bucknchange, Tue Apr-03-12 12:20 AM
"give it to you" was a hit
he even had a prince cover
2680947, Jordan Knight Came Out The Wrong Time
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Tue Apr-03-12 12:29 AM
He was out when it was a saturation of r&b/pop artists that were trying to latch on to any style of music that would fit, in 2000/2001 was a transitional period for r&b music since you could do the Backstreet Boys thing, the Usher stance, the Maxwell sound, or the R.Kelly sound, and 75% of the time it was already 10 other artists doing the same thing in each catagory so it was how strong could you ride their coat tails to get some shine.

2680946, New Kids were already a played-out punchline by the time Jordan
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Apr-03-12 12:26 AM
got around to releasing a solo album.

If he'd done it after Step By Step or whatever came right after that album, he would have fared much better & probably built off that momentum a bit.

But I remember thinking by the time he got around to releasing a solo it was more like a 'comeback' album like Funky Headhunter-era Hammer.
2680959, Yep. Their fanbase had outgrown them for SURE, and the young
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Tue Apr-03-12 12:56 AM
girls were on Backstreet, N'Sync, even LFO n them
2681040, Yeah...it wasn't like Jordan went solo. The group was basically done
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Apr-03-12 09:57 AM
after 90-91, then he came back with a solo album in 99 after Backstreet and NSync and 98 Degrees blew up and made boy bands popular again.
2681075, Yeah, Jordan's problem was he skewed too young.
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Apr-03-12 10:51 AM
It seemed like he was trying to hang with the teen acts still. Where, if you look at Joe Mac's first solo disc, he shot a little hire and got at least two hits off his disc.
2680972, Wait...I always assumed the Ralph debut was huge.
Posted by kwez, Tue Apr-03-12 03:35 AM

2680975, it did well.
Posted by ninjitsu, Tue Apr-03-12 04:07 AM
his second album tanked.

and that was it.
2681351, his 3rd BEYOND tanked
Posted by JtothaI, Tue Apr-03-12 06:11 PM
so much so that i venture to say I'm the only one here that even knows he had a theird LP...Rizz Waifaire?!
2681068, Ralph's GQ player/loverboy image was dated after the 1st LP
Posted by micMajestic, Tue Apr-03-12 10:46 AM
Dude was able to rock the 80's R&B style at first but when the more youthful risque stuff started popping he was lost. For him to veer in that more risque direction on the 2nd album looked ridiculous.
Posted by Bblock, Tue Apr-03-12 10:50 AM
2681077, I still wanna know why JC Chasez didn't hit.
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Apr-03-12 10:52 AM
SCHIZOPHRENIC is a killer album.
2681094, Now that I don't get
Posted by 13Rose, Tue Apr-03-12 11:29 AM
I liked that guy. I thought he had a chance.
2681403, B/c he waited too long
Posted by zuma1986, Tue Apr-03-12 07:46 PM
N'Sync broke up like 2002 (And even then, the boyband thing peaked in 2000) and Timberlake took off right away, trying to shed any of his boyband past. Unfortunately JC didn't shed in time and was just seen as old news by the time his debut came out. Combine that with the lack of high-profile collabs on the album (It's definitely what helped Justin's album) and you don't have much of a chance in the music world (I think the Janet/Justin Superbowl incident that happened around the same time effected his promotion too). The album probably did better in Europe but American companies don't consider that success anymore (IE/ Kelis)
2681079, aka conspiracy of the flowing Silk Shirts.
Posted by Artful Dodger, Tue Apr-03-12 10:54 AM
2681381, RizzWaFaire got slept on. Good album by Ralph
Posted by Record Playa, Tue Apr-03-12 06:49 PM

Tilt - Arcade Funk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPtLcEoyxKY
2681391, I stan for NE...but Ralph didn't have "it"
Posted by JtothaI, Tue Apr-03-12 07:03 PM
He can't write songs, and I think he's just a bit strange or ultra eclectic.

Songs that were obviously written by Ralph, or had a lot of Ralph's influence on them plagued his 2nd album, there wasn't much outside production or influence save for maybe one Jam and Lewis record, I can't recall off the top.

Whether it was his persona or him trying to build off of BBD's success with songs like "Sex-O", "Sex Maniac" it just didn't work. Maybe he wasn't comfortable being the "smooth" guy.

I think the "freaky" songs on those records are just who he is, because on his 3rd LP he had a record called "Magic Underwear." That isn't the guy people thought, or wanted him to be.
2681394, The reason why Ralph didn't blow up as a solo act because his
Posted by vee-lover, Tue Apr-03-12 07:19 PM
former bandmate Bobby Brown already had that R&B lane sowed up that he was trying to be a part of...

and Ralph's ("Mr. Sensitivity") smooth and somewhat clean cut act came across as if his label was trying to position him almost as the anti-Bobby Brown who was waaaay more raunchy and high energy.

I was think had he went solo before Bob he might've faired better as a solo artist.