Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWhat solo rapper has had the best overall career?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2679511
2679511, What solo rapper has had the best overall career?
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
What solo rapper would you say has had the best career as a whole, when it comes to being consistent, relevant, and always a factor?

It's NOT a question on who you like best, who made the best music, or even who's been the most influential...but if you were a rapper, who's career would you like to have inside of Rap, meaning it's not about the movies, TV shows, or anything else outside of it?

This is how I see it....

Jay-Z - Blew up in 96, and still seen as a "Top 5 hottest rapper"...had the biggest single of the year last year (shared with Kanye, of course). Under pressure to where folks will judge him hard if they think his material is average or wack, but has large number of fans that will always defend his moves. Has probably been a "Top three rapper in the game" nearly his entire career since 98.

Snoop Dogg - Blew up in 93, and although he's not seen as being relevant in the way Jay and even Eminem are, whenever he makes a hit, folks will say "yep, he's back!" Isn't judged for making wack music, but gets props for his good music. Probably has the most creative freedom in Rap, along with Kanye (808's). Had the most hyped debut in history and delivered.

LL Cool J - Started in the Mid 80's, and had a strong run arguably to 2006. The only rapper to make hits in three consecutive decades. Also may be the only rapper to be seen as a sex symbol by ladies that still got major respect from guys and was able to please both sides of his fanbase.

Eminem - Probably the biggest selling rapper of all time after Pac (unless he's passed him). Even if certain Rap fans don't pay any attention to him, he seems to effortlessly go platinum whenever he drops. Able to take breaks from music and come back whenever he feels like it, and will still be just as major.

Nas - Blew up in 94, and one of the only rappers (maybe just him and Jay) who got major love on both sides, from the Underground and Hip Hop heads to the commercial heads. Always under pressure and judged hard when he tries to go for Radio. Has one of the most loyal fanbases who will almost fight you in his defense.

Other candidates....Lil Wayne, Ice Cube, KRS-One, Kanye West, Rakim, MC Hammer (hey)

Poll question: What solo rapper has had the best overall career?

Poll result (17 votes)
Jay-Z (14 votes)Vote
Snoop Dogg (0 votes)Vote
LL Cool J (1 votes)Vote
Eminem (1 votes)Vote
Nas (1 votes)Vote
Other (You idiot, you forgot [insert rapper]) (0 votes)Vote

2679512, I'd say it's Jay > Em > Snoop > LL > Nas
Posted by Oak27, Thu Mar-29-12 06:54 PM
Though Em at his peak was bigger than Jay at whenever his peak was. Snoop's been coasting on his name for years, LL hasn't really been relevant musically for a while (though he had a great run), and Nas... I don't think Nas even belongs in this poll (and before you say I'm a Jay Stan/Nas Hater... I'm not)
2679513, I still put LL in because he started what, 8-10 years before Jay?
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Thu Mar-29-12 07:02 PM
And ten years ago, he wasn't MAJOR but was still a factor. Nobody at all from the 80's was even close to as relevant last decade...and plus, he inspired this thread so I had to put him in LOL
2679514, Jay w Em a distant second
Posted by ABROCK33, Thu Mar-29-12 07:07 PM
is super calculating but pretty much does whatever he wants and it comes out roses

2679517, RE: What solo rapper has had the best overall career?
Posted by CMcMurtry, Thu Mar-29-12 07:12 PM
>LL Cool J -
>Also may be the only rapper to be seen as
>a sex symbol by ladies that still got major respect from guys
>and was able to please both sides of his fanbase.

BDK?
2679534, I wasn't there, but it seemed like his catering to the ladies is what
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Thu Mar-29-12 08:05 PM
hurt his career...(along with Gangsta Rap (c) Unsung)
2679525, jay-z.
Posted by mwasi kitoko, Thu Mar-29-12 07:52 PM
2679526, Gangsters do what they want, Suckers do what they can
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Mar-29-12 07:53 PM
if I had a career…I would prefer to be able to do whatever I wanted to do.

not that everyone on this list can't do whatever they want, because their success would prompt their labels to give them their freedom, but there is only 1 dude on that list that has a "fuck what they're talking about, I'm doing what I want" attitude.

2679527, Yea it's Jay and it ain't really close...
Posted by Brew, Thu Mar-29-12 07:54 PM
but I see what you mean about LL. He remained MAD relevant throughout the 90s even though he wasn't rhyming all the time, then took it back in the early 00's with a couple pretty great songs that made noise. So there's an argument to be made I suppose, but...

I dunno ain't nobody seeing Jay really IMO. I'm with the crowd that says he's never been THE hottest at any one particular moment but he's been top 3 for the better part of the last 18 years so, the consistency is unmatched.

And I agree with whoever said Nas shouldn't have made this list. I like Nas way more than Jay and just about anybody when it comes to artistry and MCing but, if we're talking relevancy and mainstream success over a career Nas just isn't there. He's made noise but he's mostly had his (albeit very strong) cult following with a few stragglers jumping on and off throughout his career. But like you said, his core fanbase is VERY strong and with good reason.
2679532, but he didn't say it was about the relevancy or success
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Mar-29-12 07:59 PM
>but I see what you mean about LL. He remained MAD relevant
>throughout the 90s even though he wasn't rhyming all the time,
>then took it back in the early 00's with a couple pretty great
>songs that made noise. So there's an argument to be made I
>suppose, but...
>
>I dunno ain't nobody seeing Jay really IMO. I'm with the crowd
>that says he's never been THE hottest at any one particular
>moment but he's been top 3 for the better part of the last 18
>years so, the consistency is unmatched.
>
>And I agree with whoever said Nas shouldn't have made this
>list. I like Nas way more than Jay and just about anybody when
>it comes to artistry and MCing but, if we're talking relevancy
>and mainstream success over a career Nas just isn't there.
>He's made noise but he's mostly had his (albeit very strong)
>cult following with a few stragglers jumping on and off
>throughout his career. But like you said, his core fanbase is
>VERY strong and with good reason.

Success is a relative term. and if I were an artist, I would take that core fan base over everything else.

I honestly don't know what the fuck people are talking about in this post.

The responses in this post are the very reason we get so many bitch ass artists trying their hardest to do whatever it takes to be as famous as they can be.

having a great career in music is not limited to just how popular you are.
2679555, Ummmm what?
Posted by Brew, Thu Mar-29-12 08:54 PM
From the OP, the very first sentence:

"What solo rapper would you say has had the best career as a whole, when it comes to being consistent, relevant, and always a factor?"

So, yes, he did mention relevance. And also success as in "always a factor" which is a pretty big indicator of success.

>Success is a relative term. and if I were an artist, I would
>take that core fan base over everything else.

Me too. But that wasn't the question.

>I honestly don't know what the fuck people are talking about
>in this post.
>
>The responses in this post are the very reason we get so many
>bitch ass artists trying their hardest to do whatever it takes
>to be as famous as they can be.
>
>having a great career in music is not limited to just how
>popular you are.

I don't disagree. I was answering the question.
2679598, RE: Ummmm what?
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Mar-29-12 10:35 PM
I actually skipped that first sentence.

so I'll take that one.

but i will say that the post is a bit of a contradiction because it assumes that those factors are what is the most important to people in regards to the success of their music career.

2679659, Haha but I think you're overthinking it...
Posted by Brew, Fri Mar-30-12 07:45 AM
>but i will say that the post is a bit of a contradiction
>because it assumes that those factors are what is the most
>important to people in regards to the success of their music
>career.

I don't think it's a contradiction at all. He never said that these things are what's most important to the people he listed. He asked who has remained relevant and has always been a factor in popular rap music. It's a pretty simple question, and I think the answer is pretty simple.

Bro you and I are on the same page that Nas is the far better artist than JayZ is, but Nas doesn't have to win every poll. Nas has successfully carved out an impressive niche and since having a few slipups in the late 90s, has really found his stride over the last 10+ years dropping a lot of great work. But if we're talking overall success in terms of relevance in the big picture and remaining a factor in hip-hop's mainstream, JayZ is the NO BRAINER answer to this poll question.
2679529, Scarface........
Posted by Record Playa, Thu Mar-29-12 07:56 PM

Tilt - Arcade Funk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPtLcEoyxKY
2679533, ^^^another great answer
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Mar-29-12 08:00 PM
people got shit twisted up in this post.
2679607, always consistent
Posted by Playa_Politician, Thu Mar-29-12 10:59 PM
I know i could always cop a Scarface album and be satisfied w/my purchase. Hell even Balls and My Word knocked and i think it's one of his weakest joints.
2679552, Ice Cube DUH?
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Thu Mar-29-12 08:50 PM
i mean NWA changed the game

then CUBE went back East and worked and did that colab for Amerika's most wanted and turned it out

his solo career for a rapper back in the day was compared to Stevie Wonder for the early solo album run

then his stuff with Da Lynch Mob

then his stuff with West Side Connection

anything Cube was touching musically for a while was hitting.

he had been successful in two different groups in two different decades and a strong respected Solo career to boot and we ain't even talking about the film game, etc..

Cube on that list easily
2679557, I listed him after those five. From 88-96, for sure. Since then, most folks
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Thu Mar-29-12 08:58 PM
seem to think he completely fell off...shit, many people really say 88-92. I was a hometowner, so I actually bought (aand even loved) War & Peace Vol 1. and 2...and his 2006 album was definitely solid, the one with "Why we thugs" on it.
2679712, Cube as a solo artist burned bright, but burned out fast
Posted by dalecooper, Fri Mar-30-12 09:41 AM
He churned out classic after classic, but his prime only last a handful of years. Mind you that's as a solo artist, which is what we're talking about here.