Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectwas Billie Holiday the Most Painful Female singer ever?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2678660
2678660, was Billie Holiday the Most Painful Female singer ever?
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Tue Mar-27-12 08:18 PM
often this is what it gets Holiday alot of props from folks the suffering in her voice then again you get some folks who think she tinkered with Kermit the frog and just couldn't sang.

now Mary J Bliege is said to have this as well and also Nina Simone.

but i ask did Billie Holiday's singing to you showcase the most painful tones of any female singer ever?

2678668, LMAO...this should be good
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Tue Mar-27-12 08:30 PM
2678676, ENGLISH, MUTHA FUCKA !
Posted by Pete Burns, Tue Mar-27-12 08:48 PM
>often this is what is gets Holiday alot of props from folks

DO YOU SPEAK IT ??!!

What the blood claaat ???
2678696, are you crazy maxx..... her voice was amazing in its tone
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue Mar-27-12 09:19 PM
none like it ever
2678697, It's a strange day when I'm agreeing with maxx
Posted by CRM, Tue Mar-27-12 09:28 PM
I can't stand her voice. Hate her tone, I just hear someone who couldn't sing who doesn't affect me emotionally. People all too readily buy into her story and tragedy of her life as a vindication of her "emotive" vocalising.

R. Kelly's still shit though.
2678784, I call bullshit
Posted by Wordman, Tue Mar-27-12 11:33 PM
I was a HUGE fan of her music before I knew anything about her story.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
2678786, exactly....she was as influential a female singer back during a
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue Mar-27-12 11:53 PM
time before her real story was known...

people weren't trippin off the behind the scenes stuff like that back then.
2678838, The deification of her came later though
Posted by CRM, Wed Mar-28-12 07:42 AM
People buy into the tortured soul thing, even when their voice is thin.

Look at Amy...she's a "legend" now...I will say that Billie had her own style, and Amy was simply a more vocally flexible Billie impersonator.
2678859, People toss that word "legend" around like its copies of the Metro
Posted by Wordman, Wed Mar-28-12 09:42 AM
I'm a big fan of Amy Winehouse, back when I had to get my stewardess friends to buy copies of her album because it wasn't released stateside.
But legend?
Jawn had 2 albums.
Amazing singer, amazing voice, a lost talent...but that's about as far as I'd go.
She definitely had more vocal range than Billie, but contraltos by default have more vocal range.
You're right about Amy - she's playing in a box that Billie built. Same goes for Badu, later Mary J Blige, about 40,000 others.
I'm hard pressed to think of any female singer who could possibly compete with what Billie does. She revolutionized what you could do with a song.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
2678877, RE: People toss that word "legend" around like its copies of the Metro
Posted by CRM, Wed Mar-28-12 10:29 AM
Totally agreed. That and the word "genius" have been stripped of their resonance.
2678844, Thats Fine By Me,,,,
Posted by Harlepolis, Wed Mar-28-12 08:12 AM
I've been on that "Miss Holiday Can't Sing" train before, but I came around when this hit me in the chest 12 years ago: http://youtu.be/xuzltUeITpw

When Miles Davis said that her singing influenced his playing, I could hear that. Both artists relied more with the subtle "less is more" technique. To me, she's still more soulful, more expressive and more gut wrenching with her lil' ol' one octave than the folks who shouted blood out of their throats.