Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Who's making music for the comfortable?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2678058&mesg_id=2678189
2678189, RE: Who's making music for the comfortable?
Posted by beatnik, Mon Mar-26-12 05:37 PM
Every time I hear a rapper say something like "you ain't doing it like me", I wonder if the dude who is doing it like him likes his music or thinks he's better off than some silly rapper.

If anything the top 40 guys are the ones making music for the well off people, and the "underground" dudes are making music for "real" people because they talk about what "real" people are going through.

I don't see too many rich people actually giving a fuck about anybody, especially in this country. You can argue some specific case of a few people giving to charity but for the most part I really don't see somebody who has it all sitting back and wondering about the lesser folk. These people are usually arrogant, assholes, and too concerned with keeping what they have to waste time being charitable. But, pretending to care and just listening to music about some other person's problems does sound plausible.

I'm saying rich on purpose because I think everybody who isn't rich is represented in some way by a lot of rappers "everyman" type of raps.

plus comfortable is too open of a term, people might have money to get by, but i don't see debt, mortgage, and other bills putting somebody anywhere near comfortable.

I think the comfortable want a soundtrack to pat themselves on the back to.