Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOriginal point
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2678058&mesg_id=2678121
2678121, Original point
Posted by lakai336, Mon Mar-26-12 03:21 PM
justified. Seeing "Watch The Throne" and the like as music for the struggling AND for those with careers and the like makes sense. In agreeing with the escapism side moreso than the gospel of wealth side ('cause I think a lot more are being simply entertained than truly internalizing lyrics or applying them to their lives), I'll just focus on the latter half pertaining to music for mature people.

I agree with you on few and far between and even had to ask myself "Have I ever really seen such a list" when referring to the whole top 10 list thing. In truth, even older folks love hip-hop that I wouldn't exactly call mature.

For my generation, Kendrick Lamar's Section 80 comes to mind. That's the last album I remember listening to that made me feel like hip-hop is more than entertainment and actually an art form that can have a deep purpose the way certain films, books, etc. do.

For older heads, I don't know. Maybe some KRS albums, 2Pac albums, Nas albums or whoever else seemed to be concerned with the bigger picture and really dealing with life's serious issues.

Again, this is all functioning on the assumption that said comfortable demographic still has an interest in societies issues. If you're on a "not my problem" or "fuck them, I made it so can they" kind of perspective, I wouldn't know what you'd listen to.

Interestingly enough, I think the reason I find it so hard to get into indie rock is because I'm so firmly in the young and struggling bracket lol. It's hard for me to sit around and listen to music for it's artistic sake when I got a lot of shit weighing on me and I'd rather listen to something motivational or escapist. I guess that's why I don't have patience for long indie rock instrumentation and would rather hear someone young and angry barking over tracks lol.

I'm currently finishing up a teaching degree. Once I'm a teacher and make enough to support myself (modestly as I know teacher's aren't ballin'). I imagine I'll spend more time caring about artistry and musicianship and all of that and less time wanting stuff that's inspiring or emotional.