Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI literally almost choked on my spring water lol - so you name *6*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2676820&mesg_id=2676967
2676967, I literally almost choked on my spring water lol - so you name *6*
Posted by vee-lover, Thu Mar-22-12 06:16 PM
artists to prove your point that artists don't need record sales or hit records in order to be considered great? ok gotcha

how about there's 100x more artists that says that's bullshit. Any list of the greatest artists of 20th century are artists who had many hit records as well as lots of units sold.

>Nick Drake
>Joni Mitchell
>Funkadlic
>Jeff Beck
>Jaco Pasotrius

>Same with most jazz musicians. Deads this argument.

cmon you're making this too easy. 1st of all, during the era of when jazz was its most popular, ppl simply didn't buy records in large volume as they do now or would begin doing until the 80s...which is why the music industry was all but dead until 'Thriller' came along and rejuvenated the industry. This is why record labels were so quick to abandon jazz music, which was America's pop music at that time, in favor of "British Invasion.' And the fact that jazz musicians of today lack commercial viability is the main reason the music is no longer widely listened to in the US.
>
>
>If that's what your basing your ratings on - then to me you
>are not listening or feeling music.

no that's not all lol. Let me explain it to you again: hit records/album sales is a barometer for measuring an artist's greatness. If it weren't then everyone would simply base a particular artist's greatness on their own subjective opinion.
>
>it could sell one record - but if it moves you deeply then
>it's a success.

success maybe but that doesn't mean they're great, plain and simple.
>
>Save that VP of marketing bullshit for selling clothes or
>something.

smh