Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectGotta place Jay highly, he's absurdly shitted on on The Lesson by some
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2676057&mesg_id=2677452
2677452, Gotta place Jay highly, he's absurdly shitted on on The Lesson by some
Posted by MajrLeaguer, Sat Mar-24-12 12:28 AM
I have conversations with folks often about his "biting", his "one-dimensional content", etc.

I must point out that, yes, he lifts lines from other MCs, but if you listen to hip hop, it's not like you don't know he's quoting Biggie or other MCs. He's clearly paying homage, he's evidently talented enough to craft verses great enough to stand on their own. Plus, ALL post-golden era MCs do that, from Mos, OC, Big L, Common, Black Thought, Kweli, Q-Tip, on down to Wu-Tang. I offer that those ignorant to the numerous times that the aforementioned have done it just don't know enough hip hop to be able to pick out the lines. Many people wouldn't have known where some of those lines that Jay quoted came from anyway if they hadn't heard "Biter not a Writer".

As far as him being one-dimensional, I as a fan have grown tired of his many references to his days cooking, moving, or selling crack as well as his constant reminders of how rich he is and his rich lifestyle. But as a fan, I have heard him talk about much more throughout his career to negate the idea that he's one-note. Yes, he's arguably "safer" than someone such as Nas, Mos, Tupac, or Common, but they have their retread topics as well. They just don't offend the sensibilities of the "heads" as much because of their more "progressive" content.

I also have to point out that the arguable GOAT of the golden-era, Rakim, rarely talked about much other than how dope he was and how advanced he was versus his peers. He did in an incredible way, but that doesn't negate that fact (Paid In Full, Follow the Leader, Let The Rhythm Hit'Em are 90 % about Ra's mic prowess). Noone points that out as a negative on Ra's part.

I have to admit that I'm really baffled when I read comments that suggest that Jay is a subpar MC. WHAT??? Jay is one of the illest technical MCs in the history of the genre. He has countless verses, songs from 95-present that show his skill lyrically, flow-wise, conceptually .... his breath control, puns, wit, wordplay, inflections... top-notch.

Can you listen to The Dynasty Intro, In My Lifetime (Rmx), D'Evils, Can I Live, Regrets, Beach Chair, Hova's Song, Diamonds Are Forever (Rmx), Allure, Lucifer, Thank You, or the Grammy Family Hot 97 Freestyle and tell me this cat ain't NICE? C'mon man.

I think his success overrates him somewhat, but on purely an MC level? Ain't too many dudes seeing Jay-Z. He's in the upper crust.