Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectmmhmm...pleas copped with this one
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2675828&mesg_id=2675848
2675848, mmhmm...pleas copped with this one
Posted by ChampAreno, Tue Mar-20-12 09:29 PM
"Purposefully Fell Back On Watch The Throne"

Young Guru: “Watch the Throne, that was Jay’s way of going, ‘Here, here’s the whole project for you to do. I’m gonna fall back and just interject my lines and here and there.’ The concept of that album was wholly directed by Kanye. That’s probably the first time that Jay ever did that but it was on purpose.

“Jay has been wanting to put people out, like, ‘Here, I’m giving you your start.’ But he’s not gonna do the groundwork for you, he’s not gonna run around and make the meetings for you. You’re gonna have to do all that yourself.

“Kanye was the first person that took it, ran with it, and it’s outside of Jay. He loves that so it’s a thing of where now we can both share this responsibility of being hot.

“With Watch the Throne, Kanye put his foot in it. He definitely brought a new style, pushed Jay in terms of styling and where they wanted to go. I think he also just hit the nail on the head by accepting tracks from outside producers that he found was hot.

“Between that and the visual presentation—Kanye is super visual, so having the two stages with the things rising up and down and the lights is Kanye’s vision. When it came to the tour, Jay was like, ‘Nah Guru, let they camp do it.’

“I think that’s why Jay allowed him to do that—and it also allows him to fall back a little bit and have a baby. ”