Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectLOL
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2675634&mesg_id=2675675
2675675, LOL
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Mar-20-12 04:12 PM
that cover....

i was just getting into Prince when the album was released. i knew he was the act for me when i saw that. not b/c i was attracted to him (never have been), but b/c i thought it was so outlandish. and the way that flower part is used to take the place of his penis? i LOL'd.

striking imagery for sure.

as for the album, i feel you. i had/have a serious affinity for 'Alphabet Street' (it was the song that made me ask my friend to make me a Prince tape...he dubbed all of Sign o' the Times and put that song at the end). it's quirky and weird and on the verge of dissonance, in a way. i think the album is full of moments like that. off-key stuff. strange rhythms. rapping that makes me wince. it's a mixed bag, made more difficult to take b/c of the single track sequencing.

i've heard the story about the alleged ecstasy trip that inspired the Black Album withdrawal. after i took some drugs myself, i became convinced Prince is familiar w/psychedelics based on this album and several of his other recordings from that era. he made too much trippy music for a person w/little knowledge of psychedelics.