Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMost rappers in the same generations will have similarities, but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2668963&mesg_id=2669051
2669051, Most rappers in the same generations will have similarities, but...
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Feb-29-12 10:26 PM
NOPE, these cats don't sound alike. Drake and Cudi both have that emo to them, and Drake's production has influenced most of the new cats/producers out there, so they will all have similar production on certain tracks. But as rappers, they really sound the same??? Not at all. Wiz and ASAP? Maybe. Drake and Big Sean? Sometimes yeah. Cudi when he sings and Drake? Arguable. Wiz and Mac being from Pittsburgh, yeah you hear SOME similarities. But that's IT. Tyga's YM, and even he doesn't sound much of anything like Drake, lyrically, production wise, flow, content, etc etc.

Drake makes a lot more emo music than Club music...from his first two albums, he doesn't really have any "THIS is a club song" type tracks...The motto is basically a bonus track. Cudi damn sure doesn't have "club music" unless you count the "Day and night" remix. Tyga specializes in club music on mixtapes, and even on his album, only has three club tracks. Wiz is more laid back and songs like "Black and yellow" got play because they were hot songs, not because it was "club"...the Lex tracks like "Taylor gang" are his only ones that really go for the club. Mac Miller has that one track sampling "Let me clear my throat" which goes for the clubs, but even that's more of a White Frat Boy party track than anything else.

>but whatever with this "I'm so above people hatin' on young
>niggas getting money" posturing. NO ONE, in particular with
>art, is above criticism, NO ONE

That has nothing to do with anything. I damn sure don't like French Montana, and I only listen to maybe half of the artists on that list...but to just group them all together for some combined hate is a complete joke, period. You can NOT even find criticisms that really apply to ALL of them at all, because they're that much different. And shit, even Lupe isn't that young, so he's even more random in there.