Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI'm not big on reggae either and was terrified to listen to the album lol
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2668916&mesg_id=2669365
2669365, I'm not big on reggae either and was terrified to listen to the album lol
Posted by Ishwip, Thu Mar-01-12 03:54 PM
>Not big on reggae personally, but there were a few standout
>cuts.

I bought it first day as a loyal Nas fan, but I was ready and expecting not to like it. I put it in the cd player with a sense of dread and probably with a slight screw face.

And after the first listen, I actually DIDN'T like it that much, although it wasn't terrible and there were some highlights I wanted to hear again.

But on the second listen it just clicked for me. I think it was because I had now heard Nas over non-boom-bap/"East Coast" beats and had moved past the initial disappointment of him not rapping over the type of production I normally associated with him. I could judge the album on its own merits and was pleasantly surprised to find he had come with something dope and outside of his normal lane.
__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)