Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectok...why does that bother you so much...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2668720&mesg_id=2669352
2669352, ok...why does that bother you so much...
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu Mar-01-12 03:27 PM
>as compared to something else

it's a message board...someone posted about how grand it would be if you could cample other people's music without regard to copyrights.... I disagreed with that point of view....

if dude didn't want responses...or wanted responses that only agreed with his then he should have said that from the get...

>
>its like if the og post had something to do w/ photography and
>came in sayin "photography is cool but HOW CAN YOU COMPARE IT
>TO PAINTING, IT DOESNT TAKE AS MUCH SKILL"

bad example.... If someone took a photograph of a paiting and tried to pass it off and get compensated as if the image on the photo was theirs, and not the artist who made the painting....that's more in line with what the original poster proposed.

it's not about comparing 2 different mediums...it's about having one medium depending on the original work and figuring out a way to pass that off as original and not compensating the originator...

>
>clearly you have something against sampling if ur compelled to
>point out how it is "less than" something else

lol...

I mean if you can't see that it requires a different skill set to sample something, as it does to play, compose and arrange what was sampled..I really don't know what to say. Hip hop is worthy enough not to make such reaches like that...it's worthy enough to be judged on it's own merit....we dont' have to pretend it's doing something it's not.

one of the main reasons for the drop off in quality and impact in music is that you have young producers and music makers coming up thinking that they are pushing something forward by sampling...when you've lost the people with the ability to compose and play what's happening on the original...now you're stuck with basiclly a clone of something that doesn't have the ability to push things forward..

it stagnates....