Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectlol..I find it hilarious that a support of sampling other people's
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2668720&mesg_id=2669069
2669069, lol..I find it hilarious that a support of sampling other people's
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Wed Feb-29-12 10:49 PM
original competition is so difficult to justify that you just throw out the idea that someone "just doesn't understand hip hop"....

what is so complicated and over people's head about hearing something funky and sampling the actual recording?? It doesn't take a genius to hear a song that everyone is familiar with and sample it. I mean if we're talking producers like Primo or Pete Rock who used more abstract samples or flipped them in ways that turned them into something else...then yeah...that's super creative and really what caused it to move towards an art form. But if we are just talking about the concept of sampling and acting like the act of samping something requires the same skillset or creativity that was required to make the original..... that's just foolish.

you can sample Bernie Worrell ..but that doesn't mean you have the same ability as a musician and composer that Bernie Worrell has.

it just doesn't...now fans of hip hop who don't know any better or beat makers themselves can lower the bar and change the standards to put those things on the same level....but even most hip hop fans realize they aren't, and miss the times when there was a higher respect for the music that was being sampled and thus more creativity by hip hop producers and beat makers.