Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Seriously that is part of the problem - however the other part is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2666819&mesg_id=2667011
2667011, RE: Seriously that is part of the problem - however the other part is
Posted by lakai336, Fri Feb-24-12 04:19 PM
>folks trying to be 'rockstars' in general. That whole...
>mentality/slang was out of control. It was like seeing a
>blackman with a guitar was chic - meanwhile there were tons of
>black guitarists who were fantastic but because they won't get
>a fucking gumby cut and rock ultra skinny jeans they are
>overlooked. This is hideous.

Although I don't hate Cudi nearly as much as you do (I like him, but his albums fall in that "OK from time to time" category and don't ever take up too much of my listening time) you're points in this post are quite valid my friend.

TV On The Radio is pretty much the only modern rock band I'v seen with black guys playing instruments that got any kind of buzz. Lil' Wayne and others do it, on some experimental, check me out I'm different shit and people suddenly care.

Granted, I think the majority of people who like the rock albums put out by such artists would readily admit that the musician in question isn't a guitar virtuoso or anything like that. I think they just look at it and say "wow that's cool, he can play an instrument to" lol.

But yeah, I don't know, aside from these boards (and sometimes on these boards) I've felt the majority of hip-hop heads taste in rock (black and white fans) is quite suspect. It shows a lot in the music. Most of the time's Eminem's incorporated rock and roll influences in his music it sounds like shit. BOB's taste in rock is about as corny as it comes.

All in all it's like watching someone in an amateur or entry-level stage be overly confident and putting it on display for everyone. Hip-hop is easy to poke fun at and it's the main topic on these boards. I'm sure there's examples in other genres of someone jumping in and doing an amateur ass work too (maybe some rock musicians trying country or folk, or worse yet, a rap album).