Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectVarious stuff
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2665640&mesg_id=2666315
2666315, Various stuff
Posted by dalecooper, Thu Feb-23-12 10:01 AM
CDs -

Seven That Spells, "Future Retro Spasm." Not ashamed to admit I found out about these guys due to a thread on another forum titled something like, "Are there any good albums with naked chicks on the cover?" This is indeed good - psych/space rock freakout stuff with a jazz influence. Reminds me at different times of Mahavishnu Orchestra and NRG Ensemble, but maybe less intellectual than either of those.

Coven, "Witchcraft Destroys Minds and Reaps Souls." This a weird little curio that once I found about it, I just had to have a copy. Basically imagine Jefferson Airplane, in 1969, deciding to make a soundtrack for a Hammer horror movie - one of the Satanic ones adapted from a Dennis Wheatley book (e.g. "The Devil Rides Out"). Except it's not a soundtrack, it's just an album. About devil worship. With their 16 year old frontwoman naked, stretched out on an altar, on the back of the LP jacket. ...Yes, this got banned and is pretty hard to find nowadays.

George Clinton, "Hey Man... Smell My Finger." Slept on this for far too long. This is actually one of the best Clinton solo albums, I think, now that I've given it a real listen. It's no "Computer Games" but then again, what is? For its era, a solid release.

Black Sabbath, "Black Sabbath." One of those albums I should have owned long ago, but I just knew most of it and felt like I didn't need it. Saw it in my local shop for $7 and decided I needed it finally.

Danny Brown, "XXX." I kept reading about him here and after a spell of not hearing any good new hip hop, I checked him out. Liked what I heard, bought the CD. Definitely been spinning this off and on.

Vinyl -

Not too much lately. I did buy a death metal 7" split between two underground bands I really like (Undergang and Funebrarum). Otherwise I've slowed my vinyl consumption... turntables are a pain.

Legal download -

Homeboy Sandman, "Subject: Matter." I think this might be his best stuff yet. The label move might be a good one for him; he's a great rapper but his biggest issue so far has been weird/bad/annoying beats on too many of his songs.

Real Estate, "Days." I know they're one of the trendy indie bands and I know I'm a day late on them; and I also know that a lot of people have been critical of them for not really writing songs. But fuck it on all counts. I just like the vibe they give off. This is a really pleasant listen - a little slice of summer in February.