Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOk Maxx, but if they were gonna push someone...why her?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2663321&mesg_id=2663814
2663814, Ok Maxx, but if they were gonna push someone...why her?
Posted by kwez, Sat Feb-18-12 06:09 AM
She has no sex appeal, no surrounding drama, why her?

I think first and foremost, she has great songs that everybody can relate to, young or old, black or white...and that's always a good place to start when deciding who to push.

I feel like modern black R&B artists are all about "that hit record" and it shows, often painfully so. I mean why the fuck is Brian McKnight even using autotune? So what it's just one track...why is he even dabbling with it? The list goes on.

I would just like some good songwriting for a start, but I'm still waiting. Stop being pre-occupied with "style" and just write a nice melody, put some thought into your lyrics (which is another thing, Adele writes beautifully and yet very accessibly), put some feeling into your craft. Maybe...pretend hiphop never happened for a minute. Write some songs, some real songs. Forget the club, if your shit is good it'll be remixed by somebody and make it into the club anyway (see Rolling In The Deep)

You bring up people like Whitney, well they had some great songs, and the results were obvious. We need more of that.

And again, I'm just not hearing it.