Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecti completely agree to the extent that despite her race
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2663321&mesg_id=2663666
2663666, i completely agree to the extent that despite her race
Posted by truekolor, Fri Feb-17-12 05:58 PM
shes extremely talented and deserves the accolades and the awards and is making better music than her peers who are black..agreed

but race is still a huge factor imo in terms of her marketability and how she is selling...a black women could have done the same exact album and its highly unlikely that same black female artist would have sold or been half as big as adele...

not only that she is, for all intents and purposes, doing black music, at the least her music is primarily influenced by black music

at the end of the day, big picture for me, which has been said countless times already..black music has never been fully appreciated, we're not allowed differing narratives particularly in the mainstream context, yet we get appropriated time and time again

and at the same time we throw ourselves in the trap and shackles by putting out sub par music...kelis whatever pussy song she had is a prime example of this..so im not mad at adele, i guess im saying i want black music to get more respect for what weve done and how we been mistreated and used and appropriated..and i want black music to say "fuck yall, we gon do us...but yall gon love us at the end tho" lol...i feel like the 70s were like that, we did us, spoke from our experiences..the mainstream came..sure we wanted hits but the music we were making then was from out gut..adele making music from her gut, cant ever be mad at that, wish other black artists did that

but then again, goes back to my point..shes white, she can do that and be popular *shrugs* life i guess