Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI reached that point about a year ago myself.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2662871&mesg_id=2663204
2663204, I reached that point about a year ago myself.
Posted by lakai336, Thu Feb-16-12 07:23 PM
Generation entitled is still lying to themselves and pretending they hurt major, sell-out, materialistic artists. They don't, even when it flips to a new system, trust me they'll get way more caked off the usual mainstream shit than any of your present favorite rappers (who by now have given up anyway and just give away shit for free, especially the newer rappers). If you think the internet is the great equalizer, you're in denial, small labels will go way before any majors and as soon as profitable alternative outlets spring up, you know who's buying them.

Anyways I don't know if your intensely loyal to apple and iTunes, I'm not, thus I use Rhapsody. Rhapsody and Zune subscription services are ridiculously underrated. Basically, I get the best of both worlds and can access everything I used to as an illegal downloader. The only thing I download anymore is unreleased shit/bootlegs, which I don't consider illegal considering it's obviously unreleased and was never put for sale.

With Rhapsody, for only about 15 bucks a month (if you do the math that's less than 5 dollars a week), I can add any album I want to my music library. I can also transfer any of these albums to my Sansa mp3 player and thus take my music anywhere I go. What I like a lot, eventually gets bought on CD and ripped to .Flac. What I don't feel is worth buying (like a couple of tracks but nothing essential) I keep in the music library.

The only downside to all of this is that you can only do it with specific mp3 players. Zune is obviously for Microsoft mp3 players, Rhapsody rolls with the SanDisk Sansa line and a couple others. Ipods offer much more space than any Sansas, but in truth I don't miss the space. I'd rather pay 15 a month and take the time to switch out albums every once in awhile (as you get tired and want to hear something different anyway) then wait until I can afford a massive music library to put on my Ipod.

I'm yet to buy any digital music though. I still only purchase what I can find on CD. The rest stays on Rhapsody. I'd purchase MP3's if I could find somewhere to buy them in lossless format, though the more good albums that are released digitally, the closer I am to saying fuck it and buying the mp3 versions.

So basically, I have equal access to the music I like as I did during my illegal days and the artists get some compensation too.