Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectwell its simple the industry and R&B went more toward
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2662440&mesg_id=2662520
2662520, well its simple the industry and R&B went more toward
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Wed Feb-15-12 12:57 PM
Beats, grooves and Vamps as to actual songwriting.

Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Norman Whitfield,Lionel Richie, Gamble and Huff, wrote great things. i'm talking mount rushmore R&B based songwriting here and some others belong there.

problem is acts following what is hot and then being suduced by these labels and having to follow in that pursuit for a hit and not being able to grow as a artists.

subject matter and depth are lacking period IMO.

a few of the folks you mentioned are what I'd call great songwriters, but most of the names you mentioned i'd say were better Producers.

being self contained is Great if you can pull it off, however everybody needs another pair of ears to add that extra something, that can be missed.

R&B is always going to be alright because a new talent is born and it still is the ultimate pass in terms of your natural talent.

it will come back in full one day,i truly beleive that, however i have always said you gotta be able to write.

Beyonce, alicia Keys, ain't made one Money track.

i'm talking about what Whitney Houston did with the Greatest love of all, i'll always love you, saving all my love for you.

Whitney got songs heard all around the world that says I'm a Superstar,etc..

it doesn't matter if its original or covers, just make a Statement with a song period. alot of these acts can't even fathom that concept because having a bunch of hits and sales is important, but what happens when nobody feels that mess in a few years and these record companys go and get a Broke clone of you??