Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: You gotta take that up with rick james bro - again - his words
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2662045&mesg_id=2664353
2664353, RE: You gotta take that up with rick james bro - again - his words
Posted by b.Touch, Mon Feb-20-12 02:38 AM
>all of it. Your entire rebuttal.
>
>The only point he might have made was at that point - all 7
>tempts.
>
>Are you factoring in Tempts after that album?

I'm not sure what you're asking. I'm just saying that "all seven Tempts" is a misstatement.

As of the time of Reunion, The Temptations had been through eight personnel changes. There had been 12 total members, and at the time of "Reunion" the Temps were Dennis Edwards, Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin, Glenn Leonard, and Richard Street. Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin were brought back for the "Reunion" album & tour (because the idea was thought to be a big moneymaker - it ended up being a headache) - not participating were ousted Tempts Damon Harris, Louis Price, and Ricky Owens - who may not count b/c he was only a Tempt for 3 weeks. Paul Williams and Al Bryant were of course dead.

That's why "all 7 Tempts" is a misstatement - there were more than 7 surviving Temptations at the time, and it was not Rick james' duty or task to reunite them - he just got to do the single for them.

>
>I dunno - but those are Ricks words right or wrong but i do
>appreciate the insight - especially on the album being
>difficult to make, that's interesting for many reasons. Share
>some examples - beyond coke, bad management, money, egos and
>women - what could there be. lol. creative differences? lol
>
>share if you can b.

Let's see:

Eddie Kendricks hated Otis & Melvin.
David Ruffin was still on drugs.
Dennis Edwards was getting on drugs.
Eddie's voice was shot b/c of the beginnings of lung cancer - a lot of overdubbing of him and the Tempts' then current falsetto Glenn Leonard was used to mask this on record.

The actual Reunion tour itself was more of a pain, b/c you couldn't mask how bad Eddie sounded live and Ruffin missed several shows (the Temptations were docked if all 7 participating in the tour were not present)

>

>in terms of achievement wasnt that the tempts last dance hit?

No, "Treat Her Like a Lady" was.