Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectwe are all bias but yours is scary and to the point of laughable
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2662045&mesg_id=2663847
2663847, we are all bias but yours is scary and to the point of laughable
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sat Feb-18-12 11:01 AM
>the gamble and huff connection (in terms of music)
>Quincy Jones
>
>and Barry Gordy in terms of being shrewd crook with the
>business.
>
>It's no question that Mj's impact will live on forever - I
>mean just look at the clones he had during his day and now?
>However 2 amazing albums - no 2 standards - one R&B and one
>Pop is without question a monumental achievement.
>
>However you have to ask yourself - did he suffer as a result?
>
>The soul music you get from Mj from Destiny to Triumph to Off
>the Wall to Thriller - is gone by Bad. It simply was, it was
>no longer a question of an R&B male - he was a full blown pop
>star from there moving forward and his music was on par with
>whatever the pop standard was at the time. Did he take risks?
> Of course - but two albums do not define a career - if that
>were the case you would be in here defending D'angelo - not
>goin in on him.
>
>Mind you - they are THEE two most important albums in modern
>pop and R&B - but Prince created his OWN sound. Mj has his
>OWN vocal arrangements and style of writing - but he NEVER had
>his own sound.
>He was unpredictable like that.
>
>P on the other hand had his own sound and reinvented his own
>sound over and over again. Whether that's 5 years or ten
>solid ones as most critics will tell you - its not to be
>fucked with.
>
>Thats not purple kool-aid cause I wasn't suggesting his 90s
>output had the same effect as his 80s output - or that his
>recent outputs were on par with PR... but they had fantastic
>moments.
>
>Now what i find interesting is his biggest hits of the 90s
>diamonds and pearls and the most beautiful girl in the world -
>I hate, but you may love cause of their success. Feel me?
>However just cause you dont feel prince you cant write off
>albums like Emancipation.
>That's more than just a Prince fan album and so is lotus
>Flower actually.
>
>Also if we are using the 2 album marker to define a career and
>using sales to determine relevance, guess what? P wins
>again.
>
>Diamonds and Pearls (Plat)
>The Symbol Album (Gold)
>The Gold Album (Gold)
>Emancipation (Platinum)
>
>I could go on and on. Although to me that would be pointless
>cause sales don't determine good work. It just doesn't. Some
>of my favorite artists have never gone gold or even half of
>whatever gold is by todays standards.
>
>
>
>However that part of the convo does come down to personal
>taste.

MJ's two huge game changing albums flipped the script completely please don't ever insult Michael Joe Jackson and bring up D'angelo. that is just beyond crazy. D'angelo's little ole two albums might be debateable with MJ's Dangerous or later Invincible, but not with Prime time MJ. 1)

you obviously ain't a music historian or know about the impact of a off the wall or a thriller with those statements you are saying, because those albums are the cornerstone of modern day R&B/Pop Music period. they are like the equal to the Godfather 1 and 2 if you will. classic albums which says you never have to do anything else ever again period. a classic statement is like winning a championship in sports and if you do it more than once well you are in rare company. MJ was always in rare company.

even if he didn't have much of a adult career his impact with the Jackson 5 alone would have made him a legend because he was singing classic material and he was always a great showman with a great talent. i can't turkeys who short change the obvious. and also have no idea about the subject they are attempting to speak on. 2)

the Genius of Michael Jackson is that Oh, he did have his own sound, his vocal instrument left no doubt who he was. as talented as Prince is and how he used his sound, he was also cripple by it. when Prince tried to up date his sound and whatnot, he was never able to move on. MJ though could take your thing and make it his own. despite Prince being a better rounded instrumentalist, he also has suffered from his own limitations because he simply is a stronger hybrid than being as well rounded as MJ was with moving on to different styles and sounds. Unpreditcable is why folks kept checking for MJ and pretty much left Prince in the 80's. 3)

Prince himself would tell you he was something else in the 80's and the other stuff he had some hits, but they ain't memorable like his 80's run. stop kidding yourself. 4)

diamonds and pearls was cool because of Rosie gaines's vocals, not because of Prince. Prince was chasing Babyface with that and also with the Most beautiful girl in the world.

and emcanciapation was Prince trying to sound modern and those cover versions sucked and stunk as well. Emancipation was too long and boring IMO.

MJ's dangerous was better than those four Prince albums you mentioned combined and it ain't even close.

aside from a few songs here and there, i don't care for any Prince albums over the past 23 years straight. not interested at all. i find his studio output after really 87 to be boring and pandering and dull. over produced and under written songs. 5)

the last Prince album that actually sold anything really was "diamonds and pearls" and that album felt corny IMO.