Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI have to disagree Maxx - Prince has moved on from pop hits
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2662045&mesg_id=2663481
2663481, I have to disagree Maxx - Prince has moved on from pop hits
Posted by Artful Dodger, Fri Feb-17-12 12:24 PM
and from feeding an industry of such.

Did he have his low point? Sure, that happens when you are prolific, constantly working and full of ideas. see unlike other singers, he didn't mind you seeing his flaws. His flaws never existed in his technical proficiency as a musician - so naturally the achilles heel would eventually be maybe producing too much. However some of Prince's best work has happened in the 00's.

Rainbow Children
Lotus Flower
One Night Alone
I even enjoy NEWS. Also each album does have moments.

Now mind you most of this is opinion and you have to also keep in mind there is a whole world out there beyond our American scope. While an album like Lotus Flower, NEWS or even Planet Earth may not impact the sales charts here in the states - overseas is a much different story. That's how it generally works with an artist - not an entertainer like Mj who's whole point is chart success - but an artist like Prince.

I like Mj, love him actually. However I don't need to really compare. I never find myself comparing Otis Redding to Same Cooke - I love them both for what they did and brought to the table. They both impacted almost every vocalist you hear today in some way, shape or form. That said - Mj had his flaws as well. Hell they all do. :)