Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthat's really interesting to note about Glow being in the can.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2662045&mesg_id=2662538
2662538, that's really interesting to note about Glow being in the can.
Posted by Artful Dodger, Wed Feb-15-12 01:16 PM
Wow. I honestly think tho that Prince jocking Rick is a bit overstated. I think the only thing P got from Rj was his live show. How to really work the crowd and interact. His need for newwave funk almost directly relates to his time in Ny - as noted on the song Sister. Party Up we know is a Morris song so I think it's a bit of an overstatment, especially when you consider the fact that Controversy his next album - was completely different from DM.

I think the issue Rick had with P was being upstaged on tour - Rick had NEVER had that happen. Then add the fact that P was not the friendliest cat during that period and Rick was down to party.

Rick was a druggie, P wasn't (at that point). Rick was wild, Prince was very sterile in his personal life.

I think P represented the future and Rick, a man's man didn't like what he saw.

Add Prince stealing Vanity from Rick and boom. Explosion.

Rick's statement about the Mary jane girls? Truth. I think Prince learned the more work you have floatling, the more bread you have coming in. Rick produced many - P would too - but that logic wasn't exclusive to Rick.

Now the inclusion of new wave funk - debateable.
P's first album had flashes of funk but pretty stereotypical 70's funk - Average White Band, Sly etc.