Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMy take...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2662045&mesg_id=2662531
2662531, My take...
Posted by murph71, Wed Feb-15-12 01:09 PM
Rick James is easily one of the most "underrated" stars from the late 70s/early 80's era....Underrated songwriter, bassist, arranger, and talent broker (the spin off acts, his outside production)...

Rick was carrying funk and straight ahead R&B during much of his prime...He is the bridge to Prince....Speaking of the Purple Dude...He got his ass handed to him night in and night out while opening for Rick...And to me P should thank Rick in his prayers...because clearly he gave him the kick in the ass he needed to become GREAT...

Rick is an Unsung Superstar, if that makes sense...The last music outlaw who lived like a rock star but wasn't afraid to stand up to the segregated music industry...

The crazy part is you have ever had the honor to hang out with Rick, you find out that he really was a larger than life dude....No bullshit with Rick. Straight-no-chaser...Dude tricked me into buying dinner for his 3 man crew...And I wasn't even mad at him...lol

He was a charming cad...A dude that had demons but was born to make music...He should be in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame (I'll debate this with anyone...)

That's how great he was...in and out the studio....