Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectalot of truth in there -
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2662045&mesg_id=2662528
2662528, alot of truth in there -
Posted by Artful Dodger, Wed Feb-15-12 01:05 PM
yeah his relationship with Stevie and Bob had a huge influence on his sound. Not to mention other greats like Mtume, Miles. Rick was the musicians musician both on stage and off.

I hear you about Prince - I think what makes your statement even more interesting is his electro funk was purely of his concoction. As in total control from start to finish and I think Prince somehow really shined in this area.

Although I don't discount Purple Rain at all. Around the World In A Day was really nothing short of an outtakes album and even he stated he felt Parade was rushed. However Sign O the Times and Lovesexy (now, not then) are both really fantastic works. I think the problem with Around the World In A Day and Parade was that he was being pushed by Wendy to include more influence in his sound. I doubt that she realized this - considering her brother played on the album as well. This is also Prince's fault as he would construct basic beats or ideas and leave them to do the rest. Perhaps his need for pop success fueled this, not sure but that process changed alot for the better and for the worse.

What makes Prince so special is his best work never saw light of day.

The Dream Factory album - best P&the Revolution album.
The Purple Rain Outtakes - long version of Computer Blue, Let's Go Crazy (which did see light both in the film and on 12inch), the bsides during that era, Electric Intercourse, Possesed... I mean Prince was on point.
The Original Crystal Ball album
The Black Album.

The Black album did see light, but pulling it and replacing it with Lovesexy to me was never a good move. That album could have restored the trinity affect coming right after SOTT.

I agree - Rick had range. Way more range than he was given credit for and it's largely due to the fact that he the person was such a larger than life figure.