Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectPrince lasted longer,but he wasn't touching no Rick James
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2662045&mesg_id=2662343
2662343, Prince lasted longer,but he wasn't touching no Rick James
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Wed Feb-15-12 02:01 AM
i mean Teena Marie alone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all of Prince's female proteges and it ain't even close.

Mary Jane Girls>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Vanity 6 and Appolonia 6.

and the Stone city band from a playing perspective could easily match the time.

i ain't even gonna mention process and the doo rags and Val Young.

Prince didn't get his voice until "dirty mind" and his sound until "1999" and then he hit his orbit.

however Rick James had it all and he also matched Prince on the Synth Based funk, Prince though ccan't see no Rick on the big Band funk tip, prince with horns and whatnot sounds overblown.

Rick,a s Warren said and I was there, Rick at one time was bigger than MJ,prince and Lionel all put together on the Street tip.

Rick moved me more and he had his own Hybrid thing going and he also played with top flight musicians and yet kept his thing going.

Rick was Street and yet had sphistication in his musical arrangements and Productions.

rick was more hip hop than alot of these corny jive turkey rappers and yet he was smooth to sing and be a playa for real.

rick was Macking, Thugging and Playing and yet had flavor with it and kept it moving.

Rick had Pimp the Simp, Ebony eyes, cold blooded all on the same album and it all worked. the underrated "Cold Blooded" album. He even had Billy deel Williams on that album, grand master flash on there. Rick did the guest star Hood style on his albums.

had Lawrence Hilton Jacobs and Janet Du Bois from Good times on background vocals on the "street songs" album.

Narada Michael Walden played drums on "make love to me".

Rick wasn't afraid of working with other big name acts and yet he maintained his thing.

I miss Rick.