Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMaxx went in - hell yeah.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2662045&mesg_id=2662070
2662070, Maxx went in - hell yeah.
Posted by Artful Dodger, Tue Feb-14-12 01:48 PM
Bro Man brought SMokey RObinson back with "Ebony Eyes" and that song was gospel.

---- Yeah he really did and if you think about it he did that for most of the Motown legends. Hitting them off with comeback success. Ironically the video for Ebony Eyes is still solid. Rick was also one of the few successful black artists to feature real black women in his video. I STILL can’t get over how fine that woman was in “Give It To Me Baby”.

Bro Man had Grace Slick singing the hook on "69 times" 5)

----- Man you did it to me with this. I had no idea. Cot dayum.

Rick with Street songs went triple platinum with no MTV and just radio play,word of mouth and his live show. 6)

----- Yep. Started with a Dj in Atlanta and as Rick put it in his 88 interview with the BBC - it was moving slowly and he got worried. After this cat exposed this record it started selling hundreds of thousands per week.

his stuff with Roy Ayers were always on point. Rick tried many diffeent musical styles. 7)

--- Amen.

Rick was the last Funkateer who made his Band swing and yet when he switched to Synth Based funk he didn't lose a thing. 8)

---- This is true. This is amazingly true when you consider Party All the Time or Cold Blooded.

even though the Mary Jane girls only made a couple of albums, "In my House" and a few other hits still hold up really strongly. he got the best out of acts he produced and wrote for. 9)

---- and this is something that most folks are just not considering. His music, despite having markings of the 70’s and 80’s (dependent upon which album) aged remarkably well.

Berry Gordy gave rick a million up front because he knew Rick could always bring the cuts and Rick did for a very long time. 10)

a whole lot of acts bit Rick's thing and he called them out on it. he ain't never gotten his full due for the Punk funk and also for his musical stew. Bro Man sang like Eddie Levert and had a SLy Stone vibe and yet had a street thing going on in between with polish. incredible combination. 11)

---- Yeah he did. Let’s not forget the fact that he also promoted natural hair, beautiful darkskinned women, and sang songs about ‘Brown skin’ at the height of the Debarge “lightskinned” complex thang era. Most ppl don’t realize that by 81 Rick James WAS Motown and arguably gave it a facelift. He also takes credit for Buffalo Springfield and the success of Joni by default. Once the band he and Neil had broke up – it ended up being a blessing in disguise. He went on to record his first album with the Stone City band (in a barn mind you), declared it a rock album, and Neil went to Cali to start Buffalo. Joni went to Napa valley to … well become Joni Mitchell.